Spit-up, drooling and messy eating are all inevitable parts of babyhood (and parenthood). So if you don’t want bodily fluids and mushy food all over you, your child or your home, baby bibs are an absolute necessity. The best baby bibs all have a few things in common. First, they’re excellent at keeping dribble and spills off the wearer—and your kitchen floor. Second, they’re comfortable enough for said wearer not to throw a fit whenever you put one on them. And third, while adorableness isn’t totally essential, we find that cute baby bibs make messes a lot less miserable. Ready to shop? We’ve got you (literally) covered. Below, we’re sharing what to know before buying a baby or toddler bib, as well as all our favorite options.
What Does a Baby’s Bib Catch?
Bibs for babies are essential for catching both drool and food. While most bibs can accomplish both tasks, drool bibs—ideal for newborns and teething babies—tend to be smaller and made of soft, absorbent fabric, while feeding bibs—good for older babies and toddlers who are eating solids— are often made of dishwasher-friendly materials and tend to cover more surface area (for obvious reasons!); they also often sport wide-mouth pockets to catch drips, spills and falling morsels.
Drool bibs vs. feeding bibs
Below are some key differences between drool bibs and feeding bibs:
What to Look for in a Baby Bib
How’s a parent to decide? You can use the table above to help you figure out what to look for in a baby bib. If you’re looking for feeding bibs to put on baby during mealtime, look for ones that can be wiped clean or be popped into the dishwasher, like plastic or silicone baby bibs. For younger babies, you’ll likely only be dealing with milk dribbles or drool and spit up, which means a smaller, more absorbent drool bib might be in order. Look for soft cotton or muslin material that won’t irritate baby’s tender skin.
How Many Bibs Does a Baby Need?
Wondering how many baby bibs you should buy? We suggest starting with at least four to eight drool bibs and another four+ feeding bibs, but there’s no right or wrong answer here—it really comes down to how often you do laundry (and how drooly your baby proves to be). It’s a good idea to have a few extras on hand: You might want to toss a bib or two into your diaper bag, have some at the ready in baby’s nursery and of course stock a supply in the kitchen as well.
Best Baby Bibs to Shop
Ready to stock up? Here are our picks for the best baby bibs for every style and need.
Best Drool Bib
Parker Baby Co. Bandana Drool Bibs
These baby bandana bibs have a five-star rating on Amazon with over 3,200 reviews. What makes them so great? The scarves do an excellent job of absorbing spit—which is ideal once teething time arrives—while the two closure snaps let you choose the neck size that best fits your little one. They also come in a bunch of stylish patterns that are bound to complete baby’s outfit of the day.
- Customers rave that these bibs are some of the softest, most absorbent bibs on the market.
- Affordable option, with four in each pack.
- Company recommends washing in vinegar to set the color before use, and the bibs should be laid flat to air dry after washing to avoid wrinkling and shriveling up.
Best Bib for Newborns
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Comfi-Neck Baby Bib
Newborns are prone to dribbling milk or formula down their chins, which inevitably gets trapped in all those adorable neck folds. Keep your little one from smelling sour with these clever newborn bibs from Tommee Tippee. They come with a padded collar that fits around the neck to absorb dribbles, spills and spit up, keeping baby clean and dry no matter what they’re up to.
- Bib is reversible and features two different materials: terry cloth and cotton
- Available in three beautiful colors.
- Doesn’t have a waterproof liner
Best Feeding Bib
OXO Tot Roll-Up Bibs
Mealtime can be a messy situation for everyone (and everything!) involved. A bib with a pocket at the bottom is a great way to catch spills and bits of food, which in turn will keep your little one at least somewhat clean. We love that these pocket bibs from OXO Tot can roll up and store neatly in a diaper bag or drawer when you’re not using them. The top half of the bib isn’t silicone, but in fact a softer material that’s flexible and more comfortable for baby. Fully dishwasher safe, they’re a great choice for mealtime.
- More comfortable and lighter weight than some other silicone bibs
- Available in several different colors
- If not properly cleaned and dried after each use, these bibs can become moldy
Best Silicone Bib
Mushie Silicone Baby Bib
We’re obsessed with silicone baby bibs that feature catch-all trays—not only are they effective at keeping messes off baby’s chest and out of their lap, but silicone options are a breeze to clean. These baby bibs from Mushie are a parent’s dream: The extra-wide silicone pocket is slightly stiffer than the rest of the bib, so it sticks out farther than most, and stays open throughout the entire meal. Once the feeding frenzy is over, pop it into the dishwasher for a quick, easy cleaning.
- Food-grade silicone is dishwasher safe
- Three adjustable lengths at the neck closure
- Comes in an array of trendy colors and patterns
- Baby’s high chair tray may push against the bib’s large pocket
Best Baby Bibs to Buy in Bulk
Green Sprouts Stay-Dry Bibs
Consider this 10-piece set if you want to buy the best baby bibs in bulk. Each one has an absorbent terry outer layer plus a waterproof inner layer, which soak up messes without letting them leak through onto baby’s clothes. And for parents who love to match baby’s bib to their too-cute outfits, these come in versatile packs of solid colors.
- Soft, absorbent and waterproof materials
- Tons of adorable colors to choose from
- Many parents say these bibs can be tight around the neck, so they may not be the best choice for chunkier babies
Best Baby Bandana Bib
Copper Pearl Baby Bandana Bibs
One of our favorite baby products of the last several years is the bandana bib. Instead of covering baby’s cute little outfits, bandana bibs have a way of elevating infant fashion to the next level. Of course, they’re super functional too! Copper Pearl sells an assortment of baby bandana bibs in some of the sweetest patterns ever. (And if you’re in the market for coordinating burp cloths, they make those too.) The soft, absorbent scarf-style bibs promise to keep your kiddo dry and stylish.
- Super soft
- Features adjustable snaps
- Tons of adorable styles and patterns available
- Some parents say these bibs aren’t as absorbent as they expected
Best Personalized Bib
Brittany’s Shoppe Monogrammed Seersucker Bib
If you’re a fan of custom baby items, we’re guessing you’ll be head over heels for these monogrammed baby bibs from Etsy. The beautiful white bibs feature a fashionable picot trim in the color of your choice, and baby’s initials, name or monogram in a coordinating color. Not only are they perfect for absorbing drool, but they make a great baby shower gift as well. Either way, get ready for lots of compliments whenever baby wears it in public.
- Super soft cotton material
- Custom orders may take a few weeks to arrive
Best Long-Sleeved Baby Bib
Bumkins Sleeved Toddler Bib
If you’ve got a seriously messy kid, you’ll want to stock up on the best baby bibs with sleeves, created to cover way more of their clothing than regular ol’ baby bibs. These smart smocks include crumb catchers and come in lots of trendy prints. Plus, the waterproof material is thin (read: not bulky) and super easy to wipe down.
- Provides full coverage for feeding or arts and crafts
- Thin, waterproof fabric keeps your kiddo comfortable and packs down easily for travel
- Some parents say these bibs hold stains and odors
Best Toddler Bib
Bumkins also sells these ultra-popular waterproof baby bibs made from lightweight, wipeable and machine-washable fabric. They’re odor-resistant as well! And because these SuperBibs are slightly oversized, they make for great toddler bibs. Plus, they come in lots of cute prints, so there’s something to match every kiddo’s style.
- Oversized Velcro closure allows for easy adjustment at the neckline
- BPA-free, PVC-free, vinyl-free, phthalate-free and lead-free
- Machine-washable but should be hung to dry
Best 2-in-1 Baby Bib
Aden + Anais 2pk Burpy Bib
Just about every parent raves about the super-soft, oversized muslin swaddle blankets from Aden + Anais. When it comes to the brand’s bib and burp cloth set, it has all our favorite features for mealtime and burping. When laid flat, the unique bean shape perfectly drapes over your shoulder to protect your clothes while you burp your babe. When you want to use it as a drool bib, that same clever shape contours around baby’s beck, and the handy snap keeps it in place. The soft fabric won’t irritate baby’s skin, and just like their beloved muslin swaddle blankets, only gets softer with every wash. These burp cloths-turned-bibs feature the brand’s characteristically adorable patterns and soft colors (which, by the way, also makes them a perfect gift!).
- Two-in-one product is super versatile
- Snap closure provides a secure fit that keeps clothing and skin safe.
- Machine-washable and 100 percent cotton
- Some parents say these aren’t the most absorbent bibs out there
Best Muslin Baby Bib
Crane Cotton Muslin Bandana Bibs
Who knew baby bibs could be so cool? We love the beautiful patterns that decorate these muslin baby bibs, but that’s really just the icing on the cake: The super soft muslin fabric is the real draw. It gets softer with each wash and provides protection against wetness and odors for baby’s sensitive skin.
- Adjustable snaps on the neckline ensure a secure fit that grows with baby.
- Materials are ethically sourced.
- Not meant to be used as a feeding bib
Best Magnetic Baby Bib
Magnetic Me Magnetic Bandana Bibs
Image: Magnetic Me
We’re all for baby bibs with snaps, but there’s something to be said about these baby bandana bibs with innovative magnetic closures. If you hate struggling with more complicated fasteners, these are the best baby bibs for you—they open and close in an instant! They’re also available in adorable designs (we can’t get enough of this summery lemon bib!) and are super lightweight for your child’s comfort.
- Reversible, with each side featuring an adorable design.
- Some parents say the magnetic closure is a bit weak on the thicker “modal” fabric.
Plus, more from The Bump: