Hands-on time: 25 min.
Total time: 45 min.
Total cost: $ 6.92
¾ cup uncooked quinoa
1 ¼ tsp. kosher salt, divided
¾ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ tsp. garlic powder
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 ½ Tbsp. canola oil, divided
1 ½ tsp. sugar
1 (12-ounce) sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped tomato
1 ½ tsp. minced fresh garlic
½ tsp. grated fresh lemon zest
3 green onions, thinly vertically sliced
½ cup Avocado-Ranch Dressing (see below)
2 (6-inch) pitas, cut in wedges and toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook the quinoa in boiling salted water for 15 minutes; drain. Combine 1 tsp. salt and the next 3 ingredients, stirring well. Sprinkle 1 ¼ tsp. seasoning blend over both sides of the chicken. Heat a large oven-safe sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to the pan; swirl to coat. Add the chicken to pan, skin side down, and cook until the skin is golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over; cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Place the pan in the oven. Bake at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is done. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the bones; chop. Discard the bones (or reserve for stock).
- Stir the sugar into the remaining spice blend. Toss the sweet potato with 1 Tbsp. oil. Sprinkle the sweet potato mixture with the sugar-spice blend. Spread the sweet potato mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet; roast at 400°F for about 18 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring potatoes after 12 minutes. Toss the sweet potatoes with the beans. Toss the tomato with the garlic, zest, and remaining 1 ½ tsp. oil. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ tsp salt; toss.
- Divide the quinoa among 4 bowls. Arrange ¼ of the sweet potato mixture atop each serving. Spoon ¼ of the tomato mixture beside the sweet potato mixture; place ¼ of the chicken next to the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with the green onions, and serve with the dressing and pita.
Hands-on time: 10 min.
Total time: 10 min.
Makes 1 ¼ cups
Total cost: $ 1.75 per quart
½ medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
⅓ cup whole buttermilk
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro leaves
2 Tbsp. Mexican crema or sour cream
¾ tsp. kosher salt
¾ tsp. minced fresh garlic
1 green onion, trimmed
Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Toss the avocado with lime juice.
- Place the avocado mixture in a blender with the buttermilk, parsley, crema, kosher salt, garlic, green onion, and cayenne pepper; process until smooth. Add the canola oil; process to combine.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.