If you don’t already know, let us be the ones to break it to you that skewers are the perfect summer food. They’re incredibly easy to prepare, they can be adjusted to suit all dietary preferences, and they can either be cooked on the barbecue or switched to the oven if the rain clouds suddenly roll in on your garden party.
This recipe for vegetable skewers with a lemon juice and herb rub comes from fitness app Results Wellness Lifestyle (available on the App Store and Google Play). The RWL app contains over 600 recipes to help you eat healthily, with all diets catered for: this vegan recipe is also free from nuts, gluten and dairy, for example. It takes 30 to 45 minutes to make, and requires no culinary skills beyond the ability to chop vegetables. Have at it.
Ingredients (Serves Four)
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- ½ an aubergine, peeled
- 1 courgette
- 1 red onion
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 5 and soak the skewers in water before using. This will stop them from burning in the oven.
- Cut the peppers in half and scoop out all the seeds.
- Cut all the vegetables into around 2cm chunks, leaving the tomatoes whole. Add to a bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the vegetables, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over the mixed herbs.
- Finish with a little salt and pepper. Using your hands, toss and mix everything together.
- Divide the ingredients evenly between eight skewers (two skewers is one portion).
- Place the skewers on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Turning halfway through cooking.
- Once cooked, transfer the skewers to a serving plate and sprinkle with a few fresh herbs if you have them.
Per serving: 100 calories, 2.99g protein, 10g carbohydrates, 4g fat