On Monday’s broadcast of “CNN Tonight,” Gupta lamented to host Don Lemon how the talking point about tackling the pandemic had not moved on since March in the 23 states now seeing increasing numbers of new infections.
“I’m particularly worried about Florida,” said Gupta.
“My parents live in Florida, this is a state where 20% of the population is over the age of 65,” he explained. “We know that the virus, there is a vulnerable population, people who are elderly, have pre-existing conditions. 75% of the ICU beds are already occupied in Florida.”
“We kept talking about flattening the curve so as to not tax the hospital system,” Gupta added. “We are right back to square one in terms of that discussion again, flattening the curve. That was March. We should be having a new discussion which is ‘bring this down to near zero.’ Instead, we’re talking about how to keep the hospitals from red-lining once again.”
Check out the full interview here:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.