Most of us have a few tried and trusted recipes we make on rotation, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Occasionally we’ll attempt to mix things up with something entirely new, but this kind of novelty is usually saved for weekends and holidays, because who wants to tax themselves after a long day at work?
However, with the right recipe it’s perfectly possible to try something entirely new in half an hour or less, especially if you get the ingredients delivered to you with a recipe box service like Mindful Chef, which created this excellent fish skewer recipe.
We’re willing to bet that very few of you have made red pesto ling skewers in the past, but the below recipe takes just 25 minutes to prepare and it makes for an excellent healthy midweek meal. And if you can’t find ling in your local store, we reckon you can sub in cod or pollock instead.
Ingredients (serves two)
- 2 150g ling fillets
- 120g cherry tomatoes
- 30g pitted black olives
- 1 yellow pepper
- ½ cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 2tbsp red pesto
- 80g brown rice
- Large handful of flat-leaf parsley
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil or olive oil
Also required: 4 skewers
- Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until cooked, then drain.
- Meanwhile, cut the yellow pepper and the ling fillets into bite-sized pieces. Thread the ling on to the skewers, alternating with the yellow pepper. Mix the red pesto in a bowl with 1tbsp olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Spread the pesto over the fish skewers and set aside while you make the salad.
- To make the cucumber and olive salad, slice the ends off the half cucumber and dice into 1cm cubes, quarter the cherry tomatoes and halve the black olives. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Place the cucumber, tomatoes, olives and parsley in a bowl with 1tbsp olive oil and half of the juice from the lemon.
- Preheat a frying pan or griddle pan on a medium heat and cook the skewers for eight to 12 minutes, turning occasionally, until the fish is cooked through and the peppers have softened slightly.
- Place two fish skewers on two warm plates and serve alongside the cucumber and olive salad and the brown rice. Drizzle over the remaining lemon juice.