We’ll freely admit that our pancake day can be a little basic. Once a huge batch of pancakes is made, the energy required to make intriguing fillings as well often goes missing, so we end up sticking to an unimaginative mix of lemon juice and sugar, chocolate spread, and just way too much cheese.
This year we’re going to make the effort, though, and so should you – and this vegan mushroom crepes recipe from the Avant Garde Vegan Gaz Oakley, which features in health and fitness app Oro, is top of our to-try list. Oakley’s original recipe uses brandy, but the Oro version shared with us uses apple juice instead. Essentially you’re adding a bit of sweetness and getting any flavoursome bits which have stuck to the pan into the sauce. Yum!
Ingredients (Serves One)
- 45g buckwheat flour
- 120ml non-dairy milk alternative
- ½tsp baking powder
- 1tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1tsp garlic powder
- ½tsp chilli flakes
- ½tsp tarragon
- 120ml vegan cream
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 24g mixed salad leaves
- 25ml apple juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and chives, then mix well.
- Pour in the non-dairy milk and whisk everything together until it’s a smooth, thin consistency.
- Preheat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and add a touch of vegetable oil. When the pan is hot, ladle in enough batter to cover the base of the pan. I use the back of my ladle to spread the batter out.
- Cook the crepe for around two minutes on each side, and use a palette knife to help flip it over. Repeat the process until you’ve used up all the batter.
- While the crepes are cooking, preheat another non-stick pan over a high heat. Add a little oil, followed by the mushrooms, garlic, chilli and tarragon. Sauté the mushrooms for three to four minutes, stirring often.
- When the mushrooms are golden, glaze the pan with apple juice, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan and stirring them into the sauce.
- A minute after adding the apple juice, add the vegan cream and seasoning.
- Let the creamy mixture come to a simmer for a minute, then serve.
- Fill your crepes with plenty of the mushroom mixture and some salad leaves.