Top Stories

Glasgow health board to take legal action over hospital contractor

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde has instructed legal action against a contractor involved in the construction of its biggest hospital.

Brookfield Multiplex was responsible for the design and construction of the £575m Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (QEUH) complex in Glasgow.

There have been problems at the campus since it opened in 2015.

Lawyers have been instructed to raise court proceedings against the contractor “as a matter of urgency”.

Public inquiry planned

MacRoberts LLP are acting on behalf of the health board, according to official papers.

A public inquiry is expected to look at how the design, handover and maintenance contributed to ineffective infection control at the QEUH complex.

It will also cover the new children’s hospital in Edinburgh, which also involved Brookfield Multiplex.

This was due to open in 2017, but will now not be ready until next autumn at the earliest after serious problems with the ventilation system were uncovered.

In brief: The trials of Scotland’s super hospital

In 2017, 10-year-old Milly Main was recovering from leukaemia at the Royal Hospital for Children.

But her Hickman line, a catheter used to administer drugs, became infected. Milly went into toxic shock and died days later.

Her family say they were kept in the dark about a potential link to contaminated water problems at the hospital.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde insisted it was impossible to determine the source of Milly’s infection because there was no requirement to test the water supply at the time.

At the end of last month, the board was placed in “special measures”.

Apology to families

Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said stage four of the NHS Board Performance Escalation Framework was necessary to implement because of the issuse over infection prevention and control.

The move in effect means an oversight board is in place, chaired by chief nursing officer Prof Fiona McQueen.

Both NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde and Ms Freeman have apologised to the parents of two children who died at the hospital.

Three-year-old Mason Djemat, who was being treated for a rare genetic disease, died on 9 August 2017. Milly died three weeks later while recovering from leukaemia treatment.

Both were treated on a ward affected by water contamination at the Royal Hospital for Children.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

BBC News – Health

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *