Doctors first amputated Manteufel’s legs, just below the knee. His forearms were amputated two weeks later, his wife said.
The tip of her husband’s nose also lost blood circulation and will need surgery to repair, she said.
It’s unknown which dog gave Manteufel the infection. He and his wife own an 8-year-old pit bull, but she said her husband came in contact with several dogs in the days leading to his infection, including a stray he encountered during his job as a house painter.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, up to 74 percent of dogs and up to 57 percent of cats have capnocytophaga. People also have a different strain of the same bacteria in their mouths, Munoz-Price said.
“We have trillions of bacteria in our bodies. Usually those bacteria live happily with us. Sometimes they act up,” she said.
The CDC doesn’t track the number of infections from capnocytophaga.
Dawn Manteufel said that once her husband is released from the hospital, he will temporarily move in with his parents because they live in a one-story home that will be easier for him to navigate.
Eventually, she said, she and her husband will have to sell the two-story house they’ve lived in for 18 years and move elsewhere.
“His words are, ‘It is what it is,’” Dawn Manteufel said.
A GoFundMe page to raise money for the Manteufels has been set up by a relative.
Associated Press News Researcher Rhonda Shafner contributed to this report from New York.