You’ll Want To Put This Easy Homemade Vegan Basil Pesto On Everything
This vegan basil pesto recipe works excellently as a pasta sauce and goes a long way, because the flavour is quite strong. It’s also excellent to mix with more olive oil to create a dressing for salad or veggies.
I like making this vegan basil pesto pasta dish with roasted baby tomatoes. Tomatoes and basil are best friends after all! Below is the recipe for the vegan basil pesto and then I’ve included how to make a pasta dish with it and the roasted tomatoes.
What you need:
Now for the pasta recipe…
Here’s what you need: 250g uncooked pasta of choice; 200g rosa tomatoes; olive oil and toasted pine nuts for garnishing, if you’re feeling fancy! Pine nuts are also a great way to add that nutty creaminess that Parmesan grated over a pasta would normally add to a dish.
Put it all together: Heat the oven to 200 ̊C. Cook the pasta according to package instructions, then drain, stir through a small amount of olive oil to avoid sticking and set aside. While the pasta is on the go, place the tomatoes on a baking tray, drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes or until slightly charred and blistering. To complete the dish, stir the pesto into the pasta and mix in the charred tomatoes. Serve garnished with the toasted pine nuts and extra lemon zest.
Vegan basil pesto tips
- Make sure you’re using fresh, happy basil leaves. If yours are looking a little tired, rinse them under some water to awaken them again.
- If you don’t have macadamia nuts, you can use pine nuts. This makes the dish more expensive – but you don’t have to soak them. Try cashews instead, also soaked, as a macadamia replacement.
- You can leave out the chilli – I just like adding it for a powpow flavour.
- If you want to keep the vegan basil pesto in the fridge for a couple days, just add a little drizzle of olive oil on top to act like a “cap”, sealing it.
- It’s important to use good-quality extra-virgin olive oil as the flavour of the oil will be prominent.